All of you baby wearing Mammas are probably very familiar with the name Ergo. If you have even dabbled into the world of babies carriers then you have heard of Ergo. They set the standard for a structured carrier, with the flexibility to wear your baby from infancy through toddlerhood. It also allows you the ability to choose how you would like to carrier your baby, be it front carry, hip carry or back carry. I have tried many, many carriers and slings in my days and have always wanted an Ergo. When I saw that they recently came out with Petunia Pickle Bottom patterns, that was it. I HAD to have one!
For those of you who have never used a baby carrier or would like to learn more, I HIGHLY recommend them. I personally don’t even own a stroller anymore. They are so great and especially handy during the first year of life. I never felt so bonded to my babies as when I was carrying them around all day on my chest. There is such a closeness that you can never reproduce. If I had been toting my baby around in a stroller all day I would have missed out. Carriers are also really convenient. I would just put my carrier on at home, hop in the car with the kids, and when we arrived at our destination all I had to do was pop the baby in the carrier and we were off. Never once did I have to lug a stroller out of the back of my car, or maneuver through doorways. I ALWAYS ALWAYS use a carrier at the grocery store. Not only can I avoid the dreaded car seat/grocery cart maneuver, but I find that strangers are far less likely to touch your baby if you are wearing them. OK, enough of my rambling. Just try it, you’ll never go back.
I was fortunate enough to be able to test out the Peaceful Portifino patterned Ergo for this review along with the organic infant insert. Can I just say that upon first impression, the fabric is absolutely gorgeous! The pattern is a lovely sky blue and gray with a white flower pattern. I will be able to wear this carrier with almost any outfit that I own. Also, the colors are not so light that it will show every stain. The Petunia Pickle Bottom Ergo also comes in the Evening in Innsbruck pattern, which is nice if you wear a lot of black, or perhaps, if you want your significant other to wear it occassionally (if you can give it up). Also in Heavenly Holland, which has a beautiful pink tulip pattern with bright green leaves on a gray background.
I found that all of the straps were very comfortably padded, without being bulky. Also, they were extremely easy to adjust. If you are switching this carrier between people, it does not take but a moment to personalize the fit. My husband even tried this one out (even though he wasn’t thrilled with my pattern choice), and found it very comfortable and easy to use.
My toddler LOVED the back carry position and would stay in it all day if I let him. With just one or two practice sessions I was able to easily position him into the back position by myself without any difficulty. In addition, it was very easy to transition to the front carry and hip carry positions. My 2 year old definitely preferred the hip and back carry positions, but the front carry is perfect for younger babies. I love how easily interchangeable the positions are. The carrier came with a nice booklet, complete with instructions for each carry type. All instructions were easy to follow and concise. In addition, the Ergo website has an entire section of written and video tutorials on how to use the Ergo carrier.
I also tried out the organic Infant Insert. This is used for young babies, newborn to 4-6 months. The infant insert is used to provide more support to the head, neck and spine of very young babies while there are in the carrier. My new little baby isn’t quite here yet, but I was able to try this out on a friends baby. It was extremely easy to use and just slipped right into the carrier without difficulty. I can say that the baby seemed very supported and comfortable in the carrier with the insert. The instruction manual does a great job of describing how to use the insert and gives tips/tricks to make your first experience easier.
The ERGObaby carrier is easy to use and babies love it, but is it comfortable for mom and dad? YES! Don’t be deterred by your impressions of other carriers (you know the one I’m talking about). This carrier is NOTHING like the Baby B- – - . The supportive shoulder and hip straps take all of the pressure off your upper back and shoulders. The bulk of the babies weight is transferred to your core, allowing you to wear your baby for hours without any pain or discomfort. I am not a large or muscular person, but can easily carry my 30 lb. toddler in this thing for well over an hour.
Here is some more detailed information on the ERGObaby Carrier-
- “With separate Infant Insert, the all-in-one carrier that can be used for all your babywearing years
- Allows parents to maintain closeness with baby while attending to daily activities
- May be worn in front, back and hip positions
- Comfortable for parent; balances baby’s weight to parents’ hips and shoulders
- Supports correct sitting position for baby’s hip, pelvis, and spine growth
- Soft, smooth feel for baby
- Ensured safety and security for baby
- Maximum durability and fit
- Ergonomic design
- Fits most adult body types, from 5′ to 6’5″
- Carries babies from infancy (with Infant Insert) to 45lbs.
- 100% Organic cotton
- Coordinates with ERGObaby accessories as part of the ERGObaby HandsFree System
- Also coordinates with Petunia Pickle Bottom accessories for a wide range of matching options”
Ergo offers several different versions of their carrier to cater to different uses:
Performance, Sport, Organic, Ergobaby Options and Original
One very lucky reader will win their choice of ERGObaby Carrier!!!!
Mandatory Entry: Visit Ergo and tell me your favorite style.
1. Follow ERGObaby on Facebook
2. Follow me on GFC, Facebook, Twitter or RSS/Email Subscription (+1 each)
3. Share this giveaway on any social networking site (leave URL of your post please!! hint: right click the time stamp!!) 2x/day at least 1 hour apart
4. Leave a comment on any non giveaway post +1/post up to 5 comments
5. Tweet this giveaway: #win a#baby #carrier of your choice @ERGObaby from @mamatomjr @jendpt http://wp.me/p1qA6G-1TU @FollowPetunia (can be done 2x day at least 1hour apart)
This giveaway will end on June 25, 2011 at midnight, EST. US only. Winner to be chosen randomly. Winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or a new winner will be chosen.
I received a sample of this product to facilitate my review. All opinions expressed are my own.[ad#glam between posts]
Latest posts by Jenni (see all)
- Huggies Snug and Dry Diapers for Moms on the Move! #HuggiesTester - May 16, 2013
- Pink Blush Maternity Clothes (Giveaway) - May 10, 2013
- Huggies Designer Wipes Tub – Function Meets Fashion #HuggiesTester - May 9, 2013